Saturday, October 9, 2010

Beets & Beer?

So I get a fruit and vegetable box every other week from Farm Fresh To You and this week I got a whole bunch of little beets. I was wondering what I could make with these lovely beets and remembered that with my delivery I also get a newsletter that includes recipes. I found one that is perfect for my husband. Especially after working a 58 hour week.

Sauteed Beets with Beer
1 bunch beets, trimmed and scrubbed
1 bunch beet greens
4 tablespoons butter1/4 cup stout or other dark beer
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (I used a little more)

Cover beetroots in pan with cold water and bring to boil. Boil until tender to the touch, about 15 minutes. Remove beets from water; cool and rub skins from them. Meanwhile, trim tough stems and roughly chop greens. In a separate pan, boil stout, vinegar and 2 tablespoons butter until reduced slightly. Quarter and add beets to stout sauce. Saute beets in sauce over medium-low heat until greens are done. Melt remaining 2 tablespoons of butter over medium-high heat in a separate pan and add greens, a handful at a time, until all are wilted. Remove from heat. Serve beets over greens, drizzled with sauce.
Bonus: With only part of a Guinness beer used there was enough left over to make the hard working man a Black and Tan. Pour half a glass of Bass beer and then top with Guinness pouring it over the back of a spoon to make sure it goes slowly.

1 comment: